Sunform’s unique letter pictures transform abstract non-phonetic alphabetic symbols into phonetic letter:sounds that are meaningful and readily understandable to students. Knowing the alphabet with automaticity is the foundation for Beginning Reading, Writing, and Spelling! The Sunform process teaches:
- letter sounds from picture names (not letter names)
- legibility from picture letter shapes
- letters in a logical motor plan-based sequence — not alphabetical order
Sunform’s neurologically-integrated method makes the English alphabet the THIRD PHONETIC ALPHABET in the world after Spanish and Finnish!
- The Missing Link in Literacy
The letters in our English alphabet are totally abstract. Each letter has been arbitrarily given a name, a sound, and a shape. Learning this information requires rote memorization
The letter name for “C” is pronounced “see”.
Its sound is |k|.
It must be formed like this:
Similarities between letter sounds, especially short vowels and shapes such as b and d, continuously confuse students and interfere with the literacy process.
- Our Solution
The Sunform Alphabet System has been specifically designed to transform abstract symbols into meaningful letters.
- Turn the letter into a picture of an object.
- The name of the object begins with the same sound of that of the letter, stimulating recall of the letter sound.
- The letter shape contains a visual image which stimulates motor movements for writing.
In other words:
- The object’s beginning sound and shape must be identical to the letter sound and letter shape.
- As students draw the picture, they form the letter!